Simple Smoked Salmon Latke Recipe
I love this latke recipe, ever since our food stylist, Rob made them for us. I'm not sure if I've got his recipe quite down, but this is the simple method I use to get the latkes crispy and golden. Add your choice of smoked salmon and a dollop of crème fraîche.
- ¾ medium brown onion, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 30g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Using a food processor grater or the large holes of a box grater, grate the onion. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Grate the potatoes in the food processor or on the box grater.
- Squeeze the excess liquid from the potatoes into a bowl. Drain the liquid, then add the potatoes to the bowl, along with the grated onion, and toss to combine.
- Add the flour, salt, and eggs and stir to combine.
- Using a large, heavy based frying pan, fill with 1cm of vegetable oil. Heat until 180 degrees C.
- Dollop 30g spoon-fulls of the latke mixture, 1 at a time, into the hot oil and spread to make pancakes, about 5cm in diameter. Do not overcrowd the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium and fry until the latkes are browned on the bottom and the edges are crispy, about 3-5 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side for about 5 minutes more, until browned and crispy. Transfer the latkes to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Top with the smoked salmon flavour of your choosing. I'd go with Erik The Red or The Margarita for this one. A dollop of crème fraîche. and you're good to go!